Visas and permits

Good for features on the home page.

Apply for a Study Permit

To study in Canada, international students require a study permit and/or a visitor visa, issued by Canada immigration authorities.

Apply for your student visa at least 8 weeks prior to your intended study date. The length of this process depends on your country of residence and where you need to apply. You can find more information online from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Full information on how to apply for a study permit can be found on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

The CIC website has comprehensive information on how to get a study permit, including instructions on how to:

  • Prepare to study by finding out what you need before applying for a study permit
  • Determine your eligibility
  • Apply for a study permit, including where to get application forms and guides
  • Check Processing Times
  • Get 'next steps' after you apply; and
  • Prepare for arrival in Canada

American citizens or permanent residents of the United States can apply for study permits at the points of entry (border or airports) into Canada.

Quick Links: