University transfer students

Applying from another university?

A young person in a SMU t-shirt sits at a table doing work.

To learn more about these transfer pathway opportunities, please connect with our Transfer Student Office at

For general questions about Saint Mary’s University, please contact Recruitment at

Note that the equivalency of courses conducted at other institutions is at the discretion of the Dean of the Faculty. 

How to transfer

Admission requirements vary by academic program: 

  • Bachelor of Arts:  An equivalent of Grade 12 English 
  • Bachelor of Commerce:  An equivalent of Grade 12 English, an equivalent of Grade 12 Mathematics. 
  • Bachelor of Science:  The equivalent of Grade 12 English, the equivalent of Grade 12 Pre-Calculus, and two Grade 12 academic Science subjects. 

Note: If you have an overall average of C, but lack specific courses for Commerce or Science, you can be admitted to the Bachelor of Arts. Later, you may be eligible to transfer to your first-choice program if you have taken the courses needed to make up those requirements. You will also be required to provide your university or college transcripts. 

To apply: 

  • Apply online 
  • Arrange to have official copies of all university or college transcripts sent directly to our Admissions Office from each school. 
  • Request that your high school sends us an official copy of your last transcript. 
  • Include the $50 application fee. 
  • Submit the results of an English language proficiency test (if English is not your first language). This result must be sent to Saint Mary's directly from the testing centre where it was administered. 
  • Once you are accepted, your previous education will be reviewed automatically.